Chipotle Tofu Fajitas with Pineapple Salsa (Vegan)
Now we’re talking! I can’t get enough of these. They’re spicy but really fresh at the same time. If you’re one of many people I’ve spoken to who says you’re not sure about Tofu, try it like this!
Total Time 30 mins| Makes 4 Fajitas
4 Wholemeal Tortilla Wraps
1 Red Pepper
½ Red Onion
1 Packet Tofu (400g)
1 Chipotle Chilli (or 1 teaspoon paste)
2 Teaspoons Paprika
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 Medium Pineapple
1 Small bunch Mint
2 Chillies (different colours is good!)
1.Pre-heat your oven to 200°C (Gas 6, 392 Fahrenheit)
- Let’s marinate that tofu! Slice it into chunks about 1 cm thick. In a bowl, combine the juice of 1 lime with the maple syrup, paprika and chipotle (chop it up if using a whole one). Add the tofu and stir so it’s nicely coated. Add a glug of olive oil and season. You can do this stage in advance, cover and leave the tofu marinating in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Put the tofu in a pan and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the edges have gone crisp.
- While that’s in the oven, make your salsa. Chop the skin off the pineapple and then cut it into large chunks around the core (we’re not using that).
- Dry fry the chunks on a high heat until they’re lightly charred. Now finely chop the chunks and place in a bowl with all the juice.
- Deseed and finely chop your chillies and add them to the bowl. Finely chop your mint and chuck that in too. Add the juice of one lime and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Keep it in the fridge until your tofu’s ready.
- Finely slice your red pepper and onion and quickly fry them in a little oil with sea salt, pepper and a teaspoon of paprika until charred. Set aside until the tofu’s cooked.
- Warm your tortilla wraps for 20 seconds in a frying pan then it’s time to assemble.
- Throw on a few chunks of that delicious, spicy tofu with a generous helping of pineapple salsa, red pepper and onions.
Serve with your favourite chilli sauce or if you want it cooled down some soured cream or yoghurt is ideal (vegan versions are available).