Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas Recipe (Vegan)
Total Time: 20-30 mins
For 2 LAD sized portions (6 pieces each) you will need:
4 Wholemeal Tortillas (I like seeded ones)
2 medium Sweet Potatoes
1 tin Black Beans
1-2 teaspoons Chipotle paste
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
1 large Avocado
1 tablespoon natural yoghurt (optional if you’re vegan)
1 Red Chilli (optional)
1. Give your sweet potatoes a wash and then chop into roughly 6 pieces (I don’t bother peeling but you can if skins freak you out). Put in a pan of salted boiling water and simmer for roughly 10 minutes until you can easily poke through them with a fork.
2. While that’s cooking, make your Guacamole. Chop your avocado in half and remove the stone. Squeeze the flesh out into a bowl and mash with a fork.
3. Halve your lime and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Give it a good mix. If you want to make it go further, you can add a tablespoon of yoghurt at this point and mix (leave out for the full Vegan version).
4. Season with salt and pepper. Top with some fresh chopped red chilli and then set aside in the fridge (the lime juice will stop the avocado going brown).
5. When your sweet potatoes are nice and soft, drain them and return to the pan, turning off the heat.
6. Drain and rinse your black beans.
7. Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher. It doesn’t need to be super smooth so it shouldn’t take too long. Add the black beans and mix through.
8. Add the chipotle, maple syrup and salt and pepper and give it a good stir.
9. Get a non-stick frying pan and put it on a high heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and quickly spoon your mash mixture over one half of it. Don’t worry about being too neat. Fold the other side of the tortilla over the mash and flatten with your hand/ a spatula if it’s too hot. Dry fry on each side for approximately 30 seconds or until lovely and brown. Repeat until you have as many as you want to eat!
10. Cut each quesadilla into 3 pieces. Serve with your guacamole and your favourite chilli sauce and get stuck in!