Sweet Potato Ground Nut Stew with Lime Salted Peanuts Recipe (Vegan)
So many of my favourite foods in one dish! We’ve got Sweet Potato, we’ve got peanut butter, we’ve got chili it’s all good in the hood. The salted lime peanut topping is something a little bit special that really lifts this dish to another level. My twist on the classic West African dish Ground Nut Stew.
Total Time 45mins | Serves 4
3-5 Sweet Potatoes
2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
3 cloves Garlic
1 thumb sized piece Ginger
1 Red Chili
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Cayenne Chili Powder
2 tins Coconut Milk
2 handfuls unsalted Peanuts
6 blocks of Frozen Spinach
1 bunch Coriander
2 large Flatbreads
- Peel and chop your onions, garlic and ginger and
- Wash and chop your sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks (you don’t need to peel them but you can if you want to.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a pan and gently cook your onions on a medium –low heat for 6-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chili, cumin, chili powder and sweet potatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the peanut butter and pour in the coconut milk. Pour in half a tin of water using a coconut milk Stir and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are nice and soft. Add the frozen spinach for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- While that’s cooking you can make the amazing topping. Zest your lime.
- Dry fry the peanuts in a pan on a low heat for 1-2 minutes until they’re lightly brown, be careful not to burn them.
- Combine the peanuts, lime zest and a pinch of salt and bash in a pestle and mortar. You could also give them a quick blend in a food processor or just leave them whole.
- Heat your flatbreads through in the oven. Sprinkle them with water beforehand to make sure they’re nice and fluffy.
- Finely chop your coriander and add to the stew. Squeeze in the juice of the lime and season with salt and
- Serve the groundnut stew in a bowl and sprinkle that gorgeous topping on. Serve your flatbreads on the side and enjoy!
More vegetarian awesomness from Veggie LAD: