The Best Vegan Bacon Sandwich Recipe – Veggie LAD BLT
Bacon…the final frontier. After countless experiments this is the best vegan bacon sandwich recipe I’ve made so far and it tastes just like the real deal! The secret? TWO TYPES OF VEGAN BACON. That’s right, this vegan bacon sandwich is so badass that one just wasn’t enough. The tofu bacon gives the springy, proteiny texture and the coconut bacon gives the unmistakable and delicious crunch as well as adding the fat we’re used to in a classic bacon sarnie. Try it for yourself using this recipe.
Time: 10 mins | Serves: 2-4
1 block Smoked Tofu
Raw Coconut Flakes (I buy mine online)
4 tbsps Tamari
2 tsps Liquid Smoke (I use this one)
2 tbsps Maple Syrup
2 tbsps Rapeseed Oil
1tsp smoked Paprika (optional)
1 Romaine or Cos Lettuce (optional)
Your favourite bread
Ketchup or Brown Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Make the magic bacon marinade. In a bowl combine the tamari, maple syrup, oil, liquid smoke and smoked paprika (if using). Stir briskly until all the ingredients are combined.
- Make the coconut bacon by lining a baking tray with greaseproof paper and pour in coconut flakes, enough to cover the bottom of the tray but don’t cram it in too much.
- Cover the coconut flakes with half the marinade and stir gently with a spoon to make sure they’re all covered.
- Cook in the oven for about 7 minutes. When it’s done, the coconut flakes should have a lovely colour on them but not be burned. When they first come out they’ll be chewy but as they cool, the turn into the most insanely delicious bacon bits. If you’re worried about doing everything at once, you can pre make this before dealing with the tofu bacon.
- Thinly slice your smoked tofu, as thin as you can get it without it falling apart.
- Cover each slice in the remaining magic bacon marinade (you can do this a few hours before if you like to really create a flavour-bomb but it’s not essential)
- Heat a griddle or frying pan on a high heat with a little rapeseed oil.
- When it’s screaming hot add the tofu, you may have to cook it in two batches but you should be able to fit 8 slices in at once, enough for two sandwiches (my size anyway!). Give it about 30secs-1minute on each side. It’s done when you’ve got lovely coloured char marks on each side of the tofu.
- Slice tomatoes, avocado, lettuce (if using) and your bread and assemble your sandwich! I like to slather on vegan mayo on both sides, add the two bacons to one half and the veg on the other then combine after a good squeeze of tomato ketchup.
- Enjoy your vegan bacon sandwich!
There’s more where that came from!
Check out my other recipes here.